Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My Memorial Day

Yesterday I was invited to a cookout at Ellen and Brandon's house. (We went to college together). I was suppose to bring a side. Anyways, Carrie was like we have all these fresh green beans why don't you use them. I decided to make green bean casserole. I had never made green bean casserole before with fresh green beans, but I figured it would be just like making them from a can. (I was wrong). I washed and cut them and even converted ounces to cups so I would put the right amount of green beans in. I stirred it all up and put it in the oven. Then Carrie comes home. She asked me if I had cooked the green beans before putting them in the casserole. I told her no. She said you are suppose to cook them before putting them in. What I didn't know was that when you get green beans in a can, they are already cooked. No one bothered to tell me that before, because I never really had a reason to know. Carrie told me to taste a green bean when they were suppose to be done (after 30 min.). I did. It was raw. She told me to cook it for 30 more minutes and put foil on top. Did that and it tasted ok. (By this time, I was going to be late). After that, I was like, I'm just going to take it and if it needs to cook more, I'll put it in Ellen's oven. Well, I guess it sat for long enough that the green beans finally cooked and it tasted pretty good. Not as good as normal probably because we didn't have enough fried onions. Oh well. Anyways, that was my excitement for the weekend. I learned anything you buy in a can is already cooked. You just are reheating it.

0 comments: