Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Old TV Shows

Recently I was talking with the girl I teach with on Sunday mornings about how kids act older than they should be. I said I think it's because they watch tv programs that are geared toward an older audience. You have 3,4 and 5 year olds watching Hannah Montana, Suite Life, Wizards of Waverly Place and Sonny with a Chance. Not that these shows are bad shows, but the characters in them are teenagers who do things teenagers do. Things like talking about boys or wearing makeup, etc. These things aren't bad. However, when you have 4 year old girls asking a 4 year old boy, "Do I look hot?" something's not quite right there. When I was 4, I was playing house or beauty parlor or dress up. I wasn't thinking about which boys were cute or about wearing make-up. I watched Mr. Roger's Neighborhood (my favorite part was when they went to the land of make believe), Dumbo's Circus, Adventures in Wonderland and Winnie the Pooh. Most of the time, I played outside. We rode our bikes. We played with the kids in the neighborhood. We played on the swingset in the backyard. What has happened that this generation only wants to watch tv and play video games? Is it because the parents are too busy or just don't care? I wasn't allowed to watch the Smurfs or Scooby Doo. I can't remember why I couldn't watch Scooby Doo. Maybe it was because of the ghosts. I know I couldn't watch the Smurfs because of the magician. I can't remember his name. I can't even watch most of the cartoons on tv today. Although, I have been known to watch Strawberry Shortcake and Care Bears. I remember on friday nights watching TGIF. Two hours of tv that was clean. The whole family could watch it. Full House, Family Matters, Perfect Strangers, Boy Meets World and Step by Step. I remember watching Matlock during the summers. I loved Matlock. Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, Touched by an Angel, 7th Heaven, Saved by the Bell, Cosby Show, Gilligans Island, The Andy Griffith Show, Little House on the Prairie, Hey Dude, Brotherly Love, Diagnosis Murder, Walker Texas Ranger, JAG, Due South, Flipper, Seaquest, Double Dare, GUTS, The Pretender, The Sentinel, Sabrina the Teenage Witch and The Torkelsons. These were all shows I watched. Most of them didn't have dirty language and sex in them. They were pretty clean. Your 3 year old could watch them with your 15 year old. You didn't have to worry about what was going to come on, because you knew it would be clean. Today you have to be careful.

0 comments: