Friday, April 17, 2009

Politics

I would just like to say if you don't want to hear about anything political, you might want to skip this entry.

Anyways, basically, I just wanted to write this to vent. I'm not the most well-informed voter. Carrie and I sometimes discuss politics and I try to read the news and understand what's going on. In fact, I tried to read the stimulus bill but got so confused that I had to stop. Anyways, all of this to say while I was on facebook, one of my friends status updates was something along the lines of our governor stinks. She is a teacher. I know why she said it, because she wants him to take money that isn't ours and put it into a system that doesn't work hoping that it will just magically help solve all of South Carolina's educations problems. Money can't solve all your problems and anyways, what would our schools do if we didn't have the money which we wouldn't have if Obama hadn't taken it upon himself to create more debt for our country that is already in debt up to its eyeballs. He is basically reinforcing the fact that it's ok to spend money you don't have which is what caused a lot of the problems we have in America today. American's bought houses they couldn't afford and then lost them because of that. Obama is doing the same thing. Basically with the stimulus package, it's like the following scenario:

Say one day you get a letter from someone that says this, I'm giving you $20000. It doesn't matter if you spend it or not, but you have to pay it back with interest. You can't give it back. If you don't accept it, you still have to pay it back anyways.

What kind of logic is that? If you don't want the money, why make the person pay for it? What most people don't understand is this: There are really two parts of government that have to work together the legislative and executive branches. If they don't work together, then nothing happens. This is basically what is happening right now in our state government. The legislator refuses to meet the governor in the middle. They don't really care about the citizens. If they did, they would work with the governor. Instead, the whine and complain and point fingers and accomplish nothing all the while putting us in more debt. The governor wants to get us out of debt. I would say this is financially responsible. Why would you when times are tough, want to put yourself in more debt when you are having a hard enough time paying off the debt you already have. I don't think people grasp that. Back to the teacher thing, what the teacher probably hasn't though of is this: What happens when that money runs out? Those programs will go by the wasteside. Most people think in the here and now and don't look towards the consequences of what will happen down the road.

To end it all, I hate the way our government is headed. I was excited to see the Tea Parties that happened across America and as far as I know, were peaceful demonstrations. I want to see America return back to her core values and the principles of our forefathers. I want to stop seeing the government trying to take control of everything.

1 comments:

MillerFourWays said...

wow....feels like i'm back in Ms Loper's gov/eco class. interesting post though.